Happy New Year! We’re looking forward to celebrating CASAColumbia® Family Day – Be Involved. Stay Involved.® with you in 2015. If you’re looking for ways to be a more involved parent this year, then check out our 10 New Year’s resolutions you can try with your family below. Remember, you can make Family Day every day in your home!
- Take part in our Family Fun Challenges this year. Each month we post a fun and easy activity that will help you connect with your kids and build strong relationships. Check out January’s challenge by clicking here. Don’t forget to send us photos!
- Attempt to complete every item in our Activity Kit for 2015. Treat your family to a special dessert if you can do all of them twice!
- Sign up to be a Family Day Star! After you take the pledge, schedule time each month to check in with your kids and talk about the dangers of nicotine, alcohol, and other drugs.
- Try at least 10 of the crafts/activities we post on our Facebook and Twitter pages every Friday. Send us pictures of you and your family with the finished product(s)!
- Find a Family Day celebration going on in your community and attend with your family. You can also host your own! Check out some ways you can celebrate with your local community group by clicking here.
- Use each one of our conversation starters at a family dinner this year. At the end of the year decide which ones were your favorites and see if everyone’s answers are still the same.
- Teach your kids at least 5 new things this year. Does your child know how to ride a bike? Do they need someone to show them how to swing a baseball bat and hit a home run? Make sure you encourage them as they learn!
- Turn your cell phones and electronics off during family time.
- Cook more meals together as a family. Try a new healthful recipe or ingredient each time. For recipe ideas, check out our Facebook and Twitter pages on Thursday afternoons.
- Make it a habit to connect with your kids right before bedtime. It can be a quick chat with your teen, reading your child’s favorite story together, or just a simple hug!
Are there any resolutions you made with your family that weren’t included above? Share your resolutions with us in the comments below.
Family Day will be celebrated on Monday, September 28th, 2015. We hope you’ll join us in spreading the message about the importance of parental engagement this year!