Every day can be Family Day! Here are some great ways to stay engaged in your children’s lives:
- Be there: Get involved in your children’s lives and activities.
- Open the lines of communication and keep them wide open.
- Set a good example: Actions are more persuasive than words.
- Set rules and enforce them with consequences if your children fail to follow them.
- Monitor your children’s whereabouts.
- Maintain family rituals such as eating dinner together.
- Incorporate religious and spiritual practices into family life.
- Get Dad engaged—and keep him engaged.
- Engage the larger community.
- Get to know your kid's friends and their parents.
I pledge to be a Family Day STAR who:
S- Spends time with my kids by having dinner together
T- Talks to them about their friends, interests and the dangers of nicotine, alcohol, and other drugs
A- Answers their questions and listens to what they say
R- Recognizes that I have the power to help keep my kids substance-free!